The Christian Messenger, March 08, 2010, Satyarthi Sahu & Sarah Sahu
A person in Chennai asked: “Is it possible for Christian believers (born-again folks) to get possessed by demons. If so is can they be delivered and be okay again?”
Dear friend, you question is interesting and we will try and answer you from the Word. Many Christians in our country believe that Satan or demons can never lodge or possess a person who is “born again” and is saved. This is sadly a false assumption. Even believers, who do evil or sin continually, are liable to be possessed.
Let us go to the Bible and see what it has to say on this matter. First of all, let us go to 1 Corinthians 5:1-5, where Paul talks about a man who has had an incestuous relationship with his father’s wife. The apostle talks of delivering that person to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. We also have the example of Judas Iscariot, who agrees to betray Jesus after Satan entered into him (Luke 22:3).
In both these cases, the man in Corinth and Judas Iscariot were believers! Judas, about whom we know more, was a disciple of our Lord Jesus and may have done signs and wonders in his time. Yet, Satan took hold of him and used him for his purpose! Therefore, we can safely assume that born-again Christians can be possessed and controlled by Satan and by demons.
When we read the Word, we will know for certain that there are certain categories of people who are at high risk. We can safely conclude that believers who speak lies constantly (Satan is the father of lies), are under his control. There are others who are controlled by lust and those who cheat and do sexually immoral things. Believers who are addicted to drugs, alcohol and dabble with the occult and pornography! (This list is not exhaustive).
Well, we can safely say that those believers who break the commandments of God and open the doorways to Satan can all be controlled by Satan, according to the intensity of their sin and be possessed by him.
Is there a way out for these believers? The answer is a resounding, ‘Yes.’ There is always hope in Jesus as He came to set the captives free and to loosen our bonds (Luke 4:18 & Isaiah 61:1). However, the believer should know in the first place that he is possessed and controlled by demons. This is absolutely true, as many believers who are in bondage are controlled by deceiving and lying spirits who tell them that they are okay and the problem is not in them but with others around them. This is because Satan masquerades as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14-15). When he is in control of the believer, he tells him/her that they are perfectly fine and the fault lies with others around them who need to change! (This is a classic example of bondage and happens in families where the father is autocratic, unfaithful to his wife and ill treats her and the children – sometimes, it is the mother who is to blame).
When the person who is in bondage, understands and knows his/her condition that Satan is active and in control of his/her life and sincerely wishes to change – only then will deliverance come!
The steps to deliverance are given below:
1) Repent and confess all known sins and tell Jesus that you will not do them. (1John 1:9)
2) Ask the blood of Jesus to cleanse you from all your sins (1John 1:7)
3) Forgive all persons who have harmed you and you do not have any ties with them and have cut them off (Matthew 6:14-15); so that you too will obtain forgiveness.
4) Surrender your body (Romans 12:1); mind and thoughts (2 Corinthians 10:5); soul, your will (Luke 22:42) and your spirit (Luke 23:46) to Jesus, every day.
5) Ask Jesus to take control of your life and break the strongholds in your mind and then command Satan to leave you in the name of Jesus! (Matthew 16:19)
6) You have to fast once or twice a week and this way the strong demons can leave (Matthew 17:14-21).
7) Be filled with the Holy Spirit (Luke 11:13). Ask Abba Father and Lord Jesus to come and stay inside of you (John 14:23). Walk straight, serve God and be a witness for Jesus.
These are practical ways of self-exorcism which is effective and will surely work. Those in bondage, who follow this regimen daily will experience deliverance, which will come to them speedily, in the name of Jesus! Amen.